Sunday, August 7, 2011

01.08.11- 07.08.11: A week of Torments


I am my Mama’s Late Kate! And my excuse is Baade log late mein aate hain.
In spite of my knowledge, I reached C-2, Defence Colony, New Delhi after 9:30. Monstrous office with private security arrangements and some said CCTV! to drag your privacy to Scheol. An abrupt and ad-lib meeting with Mr. Siddharth Luthra (Snr. Advocate, Supreme Court of India), a quick into and I was assigned to my mentor.
Beta! Tum court kese jaoge and I became emotional. Mr. Luthra was asking. Morani’s disinclination to savour thana ka khana and Kalmadi’s lean to represent his constituency were cases of the day. A marathon from office to apex Court then to High court and again working in office till 10:30 was in the normal ‘to-do list’.
No lunch, biscuits in dinner and a call at 5:50 AM saying Ma’am here. Satya! Can you come to office now? I ran quickly as if she is PPO in-charge! Interestingly Mr. Luthra saw me and asked certain things. “I am the only intern here now” was my answer and I was saying Yes! Yes! Yes! inside my heart.

 –Do- is the best expression for Tuesday. 10:40 PM and I left office with my laptop bag on my back and mobile phone on my ears. Excitement!!! A conference at 8 the next day with Boss.  Good times never walk with me for long. It was Wednesday and my sleepless eyes demanded rest inside the court room. I went to the first row to compel my eyes NOT TO but kismet joh kharap thi bhaiya. I was caught by Mr. Anurag Red-eyed! Don’t know why he needed that brown book there!

That night I faced a trial without any counsel representing me. I demanded “opportunities of being heard”… Violation of Natural Justice, I shouted but State was not there to assist me. Initially, I maintained Silence, which is an act of respect to senior rather than a revolutionary tactic but later I pleaded for absence of mens rea but it was No excuse! I claimed certain other defences but my case was not strong enough. Punishment was Sleepless Night and a warning order.

Delhi mein saab Baap hain was my colleagues’ reaction. Baap hoga apna beta ka- I replied. Thursday was no exception. Hard work went on and interestingly I was subjected to joke again that evening. The world seemed to be barbarous and me getting asphyxiated here. Unrest does not mean protests, marches, demonstrations, placards and slogans always. Silence was my protest then. However boss entering library and scolding them gave me the satisfaction of Reprisal.

Wonderful Friday and heavy lunch and heavy cases were the Week End Endowments. Yes! Sunday a day to get prepare for structural adjustments for another twisting week…

No comments:

Post a Comment